At Riverside the curriculum is designed/developed keeping in mind the age, developmntal milestones and overall well-being of the child. The ‘BIG IDEA’ for Grade 2 is :
The students of Grade 2 develop awareness that what they learn in school is applied in life outside school. This helps them to see the relevance of what is done in the classroom. Through the year they will do this in many ways.
Language: Using language to interact/communicate with the world
Speaking / Listening:
o Language Development
o Participate in Discussion
o Listening, Questioning, Contributing to the discussion
o Oral Presentation of understanding
o Vocabulary and Concept Development
o Phonemic awareness
o Various Text
o Informational text
o Expository text
o Document and Procedural text
o Literary Text
o Understand the text
o Identify from written text the following:
- Different genres – fiction, non fiction, poetry, drama
- Elements of a story
- The important points from an informative text
o Imaginative writing
o Expository writing
o Short stories/poems
o Write complete sentences keeping in mind the sentence structure
o Spellings – Sight words and phonic words
o Language Conventions : Identify the rules of language when reading and apply them when writing –
- Full stop
- Question mark
- Exclamation mark
- Quotation mark
- Regular and irregular singular plural
- Action words (verbs)
- Describing words (adjectives)
o Identify the sounds of all the letters
o Writing of letters (swar and vyanjan)
o Identify and apply the matraas appropriately
o Read simple text
o Write simple sentences on different topics
o Present ideas/thoughts/understanding verbally using the language structure
Logical mathematical: Developing number sense
1) Number Sense:
- Place Value: Understanding the value of a number by the virtue of its position
- Sequencing- understanding and articulating how a sequence follows
2) Number Operation: To understand the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- Mathematical representation of problems and solving them
- Creating word problems for a given operation (written)
- Math writing- understanding and solving a problem and realize when and where will they have a similar situation in their real life.
Geometry: Recognition of the shapes
- Properties of shapes- straight lines and curved lines
- Identifying 3D shapes- cube, cuboids, cylinder, cone and sphere
- 2D to 3D- decoding maps (starting with objects first)
1) Time: Using real clocks
- Word problems- simple problems for passage of time
Introduction of multiplication as repeated addition
2) Other measurement concepts:
- Using their own standards to measure, students must decide to describe the quantities using their own units for instance- the room is 4 benches long; bench is a unit.
- Quantify space: heavy and light for weight, long and short for lengths and more and less for capacities.
- Introduction to standard tools for measurement
- Awareness of the S.I. units: weight- kgs/gms, length- meters/kms, Capacity- litres/mls
Money Unit- Application of all operations
Data Interpretation and Representation:
Building General Awareness: will be done through generating and nurturing curiosity (provocation) and through the following units of inquiry:
- Adaptation (understanding form and function)
- Problem Solving – in real life context
The understanding goals and details will be sent through the emails of regular postings/MLV. Students will continue with the Interest Centers, Sports, Thinking Routines, Art and Craft etc as part of their program.
10th August, 2013
Highlights for the students and parents:
- Grade 5 gave a wonderful performance based on the idea of unity and team work.
- Children enjoyed exploring different learning centres.
Highlights for the teachers:
- Jhanvi ma’am and Nandini ma’am went to Bangalore to attend a conference, 'Solving a School Leader's dilemma'.
Language Concepts: Using language to interact/communicate with the world
- Understanding the relevance of Reading and Listening for Comprehension.
- Students put in the rigor of reading different texts and listening to the instructions, discussions and information at different times – school assembly, class discussion, learning centers, sports time, etc.
- The students did a recap of the skill of writing question and answers as a way to demonstrate comprehension of the story 'Ismat's Eid'.
- Rigor in writing continues through dictation, Daily Journal(DJ writing), etc.
- Intro to ‘N’ and 'P' sound through a word splash.
- Rigor for letter formation of the new letters through the varnamala book
- The recap of letters covered done through various ways like worksheets, games, etc
Logical Mathematical: Develops number sense
- Students continued learning about patterns- what are patterns, where can we find them, how can we interpret a pattern, how can we rename the pattern using alphabets or numbers, etc.
- They also did recap of calendar, quick addition and subtraction through verbal game and rigour in textbook.
Programme of Inquiry: Provocation leads to reasoning
Classification is a way of sorting keeping in mind the common properties.
Students understood that:
- Sorting makes our life easy.
- It can be done with all the things which we find around us.
- Animals are classified as herbivores, carnivores and omnivores considering the eating habits.
- Students did a recap of understanding formed till now.
- They worked in groups to come up with points through which we can classify animal kingdom and the points were
o the eating habits
o the specific body features
o type of places they they live in
- Students watched a video to understand the classification of animals according to their food habits.
- They discussed and wrote about herbivores, carnivores and omnivores along with giving examples for each criteria
Light And Shadow
- Students did a recap of the previous sessions and understanding formed through it.
- They tried placing different objects in front of the light. Their observation led them to understand that there are few objects through which light can pass and few objects through which light cannot pass.
- They were introduced with the vocabulary of 'Transparent' and 'Opaque'.
- Students observed different objects around them in the class to develop better understanding of the same.
City As Provocation: Building Awareness from Self to the City
This fortnight the students have started developing awareness of spaces around them. At the beginning of the month we started with their awareness of their own school through different ways (mentioned in earlier fortnight update)
What we observed was that the students were unaware of certain spaces and what happened in that space. Yet it did not stop them from sharing, quite confidently, details based on their assumption.
To help them understand what is correct representation or misrepresentation of information we gave them the experience of Buddy Interaction where
- The students of Gr 5 met and shared about each of their buddy from Gr 2.
- This led to a discussion about how
o Buddies did not know them well inspite of meeting them so often in school/bus
o Some information shared was correct but some incorrect
o And how upset they (Gr 2) were that someone they knew gave wrong information
Through this dialogue, and your feedback, we will take the discussion to help them feel the need to understand about their school and share correct information when giving a school tour. The students will co-construct the process through which they will develop better understanding of their space/school
Interpersonal and Intra personal skills: Develops the healthy identity of self and an appreciation of others.
- Congloms: Students had fun during different congloms like weekend sharing, BA reviewing, awareness of primary colours, Story time, hangman game, word unscrambling game, etc.
- Evidence files: To understand the importance of knowing our own progress, students discussed and worked on updating their evidence files.
- Library time: To encourage reading we issue library books every week. Along with that we also have discussion on how to take care of books and what are good reading habits – read slowly, no guess work, read complete sentence, find the meanings of words that are difficult.
- Nature walk: Students discussed the problem of water being wasted due to lack of sufficient preserving systems. They tried to understand the need of collecting water. They did hands - on activity to dig a hole and channelize all the water from two different puddles into the hole dug by them.
- Art: Students explored the primary colours and mixed them together to come up with different shades of colours. They understood why those particular colours are known as primary colours.
Think Through: Become aware of the differences and our response towards the same
- Students heard the story 'Ismat's Eid' to build awareness how helping others brings happiness in someone.
- Story of 'Mujhe nahi aata' helped them see the relevance of being independent.
- To further build the understanding of taking care of our space and being independent, we visited a home near our school which was small and yet clean with its people being extremely organized, focused and independent. This helped them to be aware of how good habits can be built through taking ownership and responsibility of self.
Any doubts or queries we request you to call before 7pm on weekdays.
Sabina and Asma